Thursday, May 20, 2010

Back in Black - Ain't that America?

Posted by Liz

So, I left Bermuda on Monday to fly to Chicago to be with my mom post-surgery. It was high 70's and sunny and I cried as I left behind the sun, turquoise blue water, our boat, Ed and Chipper (the three of us haven't been a stone's throw apart for 6 months and I'm going to miss them), and overall, the life being left behind.

I was in shorts, a polo shirt and flip flops... no makeup, hair pulled back under the headband - and as I arrived in COLD, Rainy, Dreary, Ugly Newark NJ airport - I felt like a real "hayseed". All the other East Coast women were dressed in designer jeans, heels, perfectly coiffed hair, makeup and LOTS OF BLACK.

I forgot how the East Coast fashions always include Black. How depressing!! I've been living in a colorful world of blues, greens, yellows, pinks, oranges, purples - and the black clothing immediately dragged me down.

Then, there's everyone glued to their cell phones and laptops and IPods and gadgets - not looking at each other, but looking at intangible things. I don't even own a cell phone anymore (but have to get one now that I'm starting to work again as of June 1)!

I'm stressed out already just being back in this frenzied world.

Yesterday at mom's house I went for a long walk - - I was feeling so claustrophic and closed in. I'm used to being in open spaces 90% of my day, with fresh air and the beauty of nature around me at all times. Now, inside a house, I feel stiff, hard, not fluid, and stifled.

As I walked, I soaked in the blooming trees, the happy birds flitting from one tree to another, a fox. Our winter experience has taught me to take time to observe and appreciate all that is going on around us, instead of being so closed off.

I also caught a few glimpses of Lake Michigan along my path - and was drawn to that vision of open water - blue, but more of an icy cold blue - not the turquoise, warm blue of the Caribbean. Nonetheless, it was water and it was calling me. I stopped for moments to breathe it all in and wished I was back in the islands.

But then, along the walk, I ran into some sights that warmed my heart and to me, epitomize what America is all about... flags up already in preparation for Memorial Day, Fort Sheridan announcing a Memorial Day mass to remember the fallen soldiers, and boys warming up for a baseball game on an immaculately kept baseball diamond. The crack of the bat and the joy in their faces to be playing the game, with specatators arriving on bikes and with their dogs. It made me think of John Cougar Mellancamp's song "Ain't that America".

Getting settled back into this American culture is going to be a challenge - but hopefully I'll carry with me some of the peace and balance I discovered within our sailing and island lifestyle.

No comments: