Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Where do the days go?!

I made it down on Saturday - arriving at 4:30pm, going through customs with cat, getting him inspected by the Vet - per usual - all on "island time" - long lines, no rushing.... but when I got through customs and headed outside, there was Ed, waiting and smiling - and had a taxi all organized to take us south to Falmouth Harbor - about a 30 minute taxi ride.

It's HOT and Sunny but really breezy which is great - keeping the boat and us cooled off.

We have to run the engine 2-3x a day to charge up batteries which are powering the refridge and the water maker. GOD BLESS both of those things - - and I'm loving the water maker, because I get my daily shower - and after a long hot, steamy, sweaty day - it's a total luxury. Something we all take for granted back at home! And showers here are not long....although last night I overdid it a bit and we had to run the watermaker longer this morning to make up for it!

Start off each day with some breakfast and coffee/tea on deck - looking out our "backyard" to the beautiful harbor, with gorgeous boats around us and blue water, blue sky, white puffy clouds, palm trees and slightly mountainous terrain in the backyard. (This week, all of the mega-yachts and some mini-cruise ships - are arriving for the big Charter Boat show starting this Sunday. This is eye candy for Ed, who could just sit in the cockpit all day long and look at these beauties sailing in!)

During or after breakfast, we'll run the engine for an hour or so and do some "chores". Today I cleaned down below - picked up all the rugs and aired them out, Murphy's wood oil soap and cleaned the teak floors and all of the wood down below. The first day I spent the whole morning til 12:30 figuring out what provisions we had remaining from the delivery and what we needed from the store. I can't even remember what I did yesterday morning! This is scary!!!

After morning chores, we'll go ashore for a walk. lunch, tea, or like today - we're at a wireless cafe "Seabreeze" for a couple of hours, doing email, talking on SKYPE, updating the blog.

I'd lke to get in a better exercise routine - but I kind of get a stairmaster routine in by going up and down the companionway stairs all day - back and forth - and there is always some cleaning/organizing to keep you occumpied. I did get a DELIGHTFUL 90 minute nap in yesterday afternoon - down below on the settee in the main salon with the breezes blowing through the boat and the fans blowing softly. Such decadence! At home, I'd be working, working, working and even I was at home and exhausted, I'd never take a nap - would feel "too guilty". LOVE NAPS!!!!!

I'm trying to cook what we have for food on board - - again, this calls for some creativity! Last night it was Mac n Cheese with a can of stewed tomatoes. The other night it was Lentils/Red Beans in Creamy Tomato sauce. It's also challenging because my Ed is a vegetarian. I'm going to try to find some fresh chicken or meat and wrap it and freeze it individually - so at least I could take something out of the freezer and cook it up on the grill later on that night for dinner. Also, you'd think this would be easy here - but it's not - - FINDING fresh fish. I will never take Whole Foods fish market, or even the fish section of Shaws (!) for granted again!

Well, it's about 1:30 and almost time for my afternoon siesta! We have to get gas for the dinghy and then we're also going to dinghy across the harbor this afternoon to the Catamaran club and check out that side of Falmouth Harbor. I know this seems ridiculous, but I'm not even sure we can get all of this done this afternoon - unless I give up my nap.... (Oh, no!)

We need to take some photos!! As soon as we do and upload them, we'll post them.

Cheers for now,
Liz

No comments: