Sunday, December 20, 2009

Video - sailing from Antigua to Deshaies, Guadeloupe



Departed Antigua at 6:45 am on Thursday, December 17th. Lighter winds predicted which we wanted -because it had been blowing the few days before. I personally hadn't sailed since July, and have to say that I needed time to get my "sea legs". We were sailing on a beam reach - which normally would be nice - but for the first couple of hours, the wind was gustier than we thought it would be, making the sea swells kind of big (maybe about 7 feet) and pretty rolly for my liking - and I felt the "mal de mer" coming on... so, I popped my trusty Stugeron - - and it subsided - but the only side affect to that seasickness med is that it makes me wicked drowsy.

The winds subsided a bit and the seas flattened out - and we had a DELIGHTFUL sail for the next five hours - reached Deshaies, Guadeloupe - set the anchor, just relaxed for the late afternoon, cooked dinner on board. It was pitch black outside in this very quiet little anchorage - Deshaies is a very tiny fishing village - and the stars were abundant and magical. We were probably in bed and asleep by 8:30! Had to get up early again the next morning to set sail for Les Saintes - islands off the south coast of Guadelooupe.

No comments: